Monday, April 15, 2013

The Hand of God

When your Dad is terminally ill, it's kind of hard to see the hand of God. When circumstances are really difficult, and there really is no way to understand or see answers to the question, "Why?," you start to wonder.

You know God is there, but you don't see Him.

This past week I saw the hand of God all over my family. The week started last Monday, when Dad had to go to the hospital for a minor surgery. Minor, that is, if you don't have ALS. Any surgery is major when your lung function is compromised. I went in to the hospital at 5:40 a.m. to be there when my Dad got there and to talk to the anesthesiologist about my concerns for the plan for general anesthesia.

The anesthesiologist turned out to be the kindest, most compassionate, most thoughtful woman -- someone who has been practicing medicine for decades and is very purposeful in her approach. I recognized her from medical school and was relieved that she was there. She shared my concerns, and she and the surgeon made plans for a sedated procedure, without general anesthesia or a ventilator. Praises!

Lo and behold, the next person to enter the room was a good friend of mine from medical school days -- the only surgery intern I know, a friend from Bible study years ago. She was the intern assigned to my Dad's case. She took the time to pray with my family and checked on my Dad several times during the day.

My parents ran into one of my sister and brother-in-law's good friends from medical school days at ETSU, who is a senior anesthesiology resident and a strong Christian. A chance passing in the hall, perhaps, but when you know God, you know it wasn't chance -- it encouraged my parents to see another friend in the giant metropolis that is an academic medical center.

When Dad had to go back to the hospital on Thursday, his ER attending physician was a former CPC member who now attends another PCA church in town.

My Dad's neurologist, who is a good friend of mine and PCA church member, called me personally on my cell phone to check on Dad.

My Dad's internist, who is a CPC church member/elder and Dad's good friend, came at 11:30 at night to check on Dad -- just because. He was not on call that particular night.

In the ICU, my Dad's attending pulmonologist was someone I knew well from residency, who also took the time to call me personally on my phone to discuss Dad's care.

My Dad's medicine resident in the ICU was a good friend from medical school and fellow Christian, someone who I had known when he was a first year medical student and I was a fourth year student.

The chaplain who came to visit my parents was a CPA Mom -- my Mom had taught her kids in highschool!

A fellow CPC church member unfortunately has had a long stay in the ICU, and her husband dropped by to visit and say hi.

On Saturday, when I was away from the hospital and out with the kids, I coincidentally ran into one of my good friends from medical school who I haven't seen in about 9 months, but have been meaning to call -- she is a Christian and she lost her Dad this year to a difficult illness. We were able to connect and make plans to get together next week.

A special friend at church saw me at just the right time, gave me a hug, offered encouraging words, and offered to help me in a tangible way.

Many have texted, called, left messages, and offered prayers.

Our special friend who cares for the boys two days a week offered very encouraging words this morning -- words from someone who in the past few years lost her own father.

My boss at work has been very supportive and has assured me that I do not need to worry about changing my schedule at work at a moment's notice. Not many bosses would be like that.

When I came home from work today, in my mailbox was a box of cookies, shipped from a distant relative of my husband's, with a card saying Happy Mother's Day! Well, it's not Mother's Day, but let me tell you, the box of cookies couldn't have come at a more needed time!

I do not understand why my Dad has to suffer with this terrible disease. I'm not sure I ever will know or understand. I will always be sad that he has had to walk this road, and from where we stand, the next few weeks stand to be more difficult still than the weeks behind us. But I do KNOW with all my heart, that the Lord is walking with us during this journey. He cares for us, and cared enough to send SO many people in the path of my family over the course of this past week, to walk with us, to say a kind word, and to encourage us along the way.

2 comments:

SKF said...

This is a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing it and sharing your encouragement.
-Shelley

Justine said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Learning to be grateful for every day and treasure each moment is a lesson I have to relearn constantly.

Love, Justine